|Date of Birth:
||March 12 1925
||B.S. in Physics, The University of Tokyo
||Ph.D., The University of Tokyo
||Kobe Kogyo Corporation
||Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo (now Sony Corporation)
||IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, USA
President, University of Tsukuba
||Former President, University of Tsukuba
|Major Publications and Scientific Papers:
- L. Esaki and R.Tsu, "Superlattice and negative differential conductivity in semiconductors," IBM J.Res. Development, pp.61-65, Jan. 1970.
- L. Esaki, L.L. Chang, W.E. Howard and V.L. Rideout, "Transport properties of a GaAs- GaAlAs superlattice," Proc. Int. Conf. Phys. Semicond., pp.431-435, Warsaw, 1972.
- R. Tsu and L. Esaki, "Tunneling in a finite superlattice," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.22, No.11, pp.562-564, June 1973.
- L.L. Chang, L. Esaki and R. Tsu, "Resonant tunneling in semiconductor double barriers," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.24, pp.593-595, 1974.
- L. Esaki and L.L. Chang, "New transport phenomenon in a semiconductor superlattice," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol.33, pp.495-498, 1974.
- Nishina Memorial Award (1959)
- Asahi Press Award Toyo Rayon Foundation Award (1960)
- Morris N. Liebmann Memorial Prize from IRE Stuart Ballantine Medal from the Franklin Institute (1961)
- Japan Academy Award (1965)
- Nobel Prize in Physics (1973)
- Order of Culture from the Japanese Government (1974)
- American Physical Society International Prize for New Materials (1985)
- IEEE Medal of Honor (1991)
|Membership in Academic Institutions and Societies:
- American Physical Society
- Physical Society of Japan
- Member, Japan Academy (1975)
- Foreign Associate, National Academy of Sciences, USA (1976)
- Foreign Associate , National Academy of Engineering, USA (1977)
- Member, Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (1989)
- Member, American Philosophical Society (1991)
- Foreign Member, Russian Academy of Sciences (1994)
- Honorary Foreign Member, Korean Academy of Science and Technology (1995)
- Member, Italian National Academy of Science (1996)