Laureates of the Japan Prize
Dr. Joseph F. Engelberger
- Date of Birth:
26 July 1925
Outline of Achievements
The 1997 Japan Prize
Systems Engineering for an Artifactual Environment
Establishment of the robot industry and creation of a techno-global paradigm
Robotics - Past, Present and Fure
Major Awards and Honors Received
||Progress Award, Society of Manufacturing Engineers
||Nyselius Award, American Die Casting Institution
||Leonardo da Vinci Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
||American Machinist Award
||Golden Omega Award at the Electrical Electronics Insulation Conference
||McKechnie Award, University of Liverpool
||Egleston Medal, Columbia University
||Profiled in the London Sunday Times as one of "The 1000 Makers of the 20th Century
||Beckman Award at the LabAutomation'97 Conference Honorary Doctorates from the University of Bridgeport, Briarwood College, Spring Garden College and Carnegie-Mellon University
Membership in Academic Institutions and Societies
||National Academy of Engineering
||Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering
||B.S. Columbia University, New York
||M.S. Columbia University, New York
||Engineer, Manning Maxwell & Moore
||Chief Engineer, Manning Maxwell & Moore
||Founder & President, Consolidated Controls Corporation
||Founder, President & Director, Unimation Inc.
||Vice President, Condec Corporation
||Founder & Chairman, Transitions Research Corporation (TRC)
||Chairman & Director, HelpMate Robotics Inc. (successor to TRC)
- Chairman and Director, HelpMate Robotics Inc.
- "Economic and Sociological Impact of Industrial Robots," Proceedings of First International Symposium on Industrial Robots, 1970.
- "Man Robot Symbiosis," Proceedings of Fourth International Symposium on Industrial Robots, 1974.
- "Robotics, the Last Decade and the Next Decade," Kybemetes, Vol.4, pp 9-13, 1975.
- "Performance Evaluation of Industrial Robots," Proceedings of Sixth International Symposium on Industrial Robots, 1976.
- "Will Robots Invade Assembly Operations ?" SME Technical Paper #AD76-632, 1976.
- "A Robotics Prognostication," Proceedings at Joint Automatic Control Conference, 1977.
- "Smart Robots for Smart Machine Tools," Presented at 16th Numerical Control Society Annual Meeting & Technical Conference, 1979.
- "Robots and Automobiles： Applications, Economics and the Future," SAE Technical Paper # 800377, Presented at Society of Automotive Engineers Congress and Exposition, 1980.
- "Historical Perspective of Industrial Robots," Introductory Chapter to Handbook of Industrial Robots, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1983.
- "Domesticating the Industrial Robot," Proceedings at the International Symposium and Exposition on Robots, Sydney, Australia, 1988.
- Robotics in Practice: Management and Applications of Industrial Robots, J. F. Engelberger, with forward by Isaac Asimov, London, Kogan Page, 1980.
- Robotics in Service, J. F. Engelberger, Cambridge, MA, MIT Press, 1989.
- "Health Care Robotics Goes Commercial-The Helpmate Experience," Robotica, VII, pp 517-523, 1993.
- "Viewpoint-The Service Robot Frontier," Industrial Robot, Vol 20, No 5, pp 3-4, 1993.
- Robotics in the 21st Century, Scientific American Vol 273, No 3, p 166, 1995.