Laureates of the Japan Prize
Dr. Hiroyuki Yoshikawa
- Date of Birth:
5 August 1933
Outline of Achievements
The 1997 Japan Prize
Systems Engineering for an Artifactual Environment
Establishment of the robot industry and creation of a techno-global paradigm
General Design Theory and Environment
Major Awards and Honors Received
||Silver Core Medal, International Federation of Information Processing
||53rd Noteworthy Inventions, Science and Technology Agency
||Education Award, Society of Manufacturing Engineers
||Hasunuma Award, Society for Precision Engineering
||Honorary Degree of Doctor, University of Strathclyde, U.K. Honorary Doctor, Twente University of Technology, Netherlands
Membership in Academic Institutions and Societies
||Member, Japan Society for Precision Engineering
||Member, Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers
||Corresponding member, International Institution for Production Engineering Research (CIRP)
||Member, Society of Information Processing
||Member, Japan Society of Robotics
||Member, Artificial Intelligence Society
||Member, IFIP WG 5.2 (CAD)
||Vice-President, Society for Precision Engineering
||Full member, CIRP
||Editorial board, "Robotics and Automation Systems" Editorial board, "Design Engineering"
||President, Society for Precision Engineering
||Vice-President, CIRP 1993-95 President, CIRP
||Member, Japanese Industrial Standards Committee, Ministry of International Trade and Industry
||Councilor, Science and Technology Agency
||Member, Council of Industrial Technology, Ministry of International Trade and Industry
||Member, Science Council, Ministry of Education
||Member, University Council, Ministry of Education
||B.S. Department of Precision Engineering, The University of Tokyo
||Ph.D. in Precision Machinery Engineering, The University of Tokyo
||Institute of Physical and Chemical Research
||Associate Professor, Dept. of Precision Machinery Engineering The University of Tokyo
||Senior Visiting Staff, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, University of Birmingham, U.K.
||Guest Professor of Technical University of Norway in Trondheim
||Professor of the Department of Precision Machinery Engineering
||Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, The University of Tokyo
||President of The University of Tokyo present
- Former President, The University of Tokyo
Major Publications and Scientific Papers
- Flexible Manufacturing Complex Provided with Laser-A National R & D, Proc. of the Intl. Symposium on Factory in Future (Amsterdam), 1979.
- General Design Theory and A CAD Systems, in T. Sata and E. Warman (eds.): Man-machine Communication in CAD/CAM, Proc. of the IFIP WG5.2-5.3 Working Conference (Tokyo), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 35-53, 1980.
- Designer's designing Models, International Conference on Engineering Design, Proc. of ICED 83 (Kobenhavn), 337-344, 1983.
- Automation of Thinking in design, in E. Warman (eds.): Computer Applications in Production and Engineering, Proc. of CAPE, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 405-417, 1983.
- Necessity and Potential of Maintenance Technology-Automation of Maintenance, Proc. of the 7th Congress of Europe. Fed. Nat. Maintenance Societies, 1984.
- Introduction to General Design Theory; Intelligent Manufacturing Systems,International Summer Seminar (Dubrovnik, Yugoslavia), 1985.
- General Design Theory as a Formal Theory of Design, in H. Yoshikawa and D. Gossard (eds.): Intelligent CAD, I, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 51-61, 1989.
- Design Philosophy: The State of the Art, Proc. of the 39th CIRP General Assembly (Trondheim, Norway), Annals of the CIRP, Vol.38, No.2, 579-586, 1989.
- Manufacturing and the 21st Century-Intelligent Manufacturing Systems and the Renaissance of the Manufacturing Industry, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, North-Holland, Vol.49, No.2, 195-213, 1995.