Laureates of the Japan Prize
Dr. Leo Esaki
- Date of Birth:
12 March 1925
Outline of Achievements
The 1998 Japan Prize
Generation and Design of New Materials Creating Novel Functions
For the creation and realization of the concept of man-made superlattice crystals which lead to generation of new materials with useful applications
The Evolution of Semiconductor Superlattices
||Nishina Memorial Award
||Asahi Press Award Toyo Rayon Foundation Award
||Morris N. Liebmann Memorial Prize from IRE Stuart Ballantine Medal from the Franklin Institute
||Japan Academy Award
||Nobel Prize in Physics
||Order of Culture from the Japanese Government
||American Physical Society International Prize for New Materials
||IEEE Medal of Honor
Membership in Academic Institutions and Societies
||American Physical Society
||Physical Society of Japan
||Member, Japan Academy
||Foreign Associate, National Academy of Sciences, USA
||Foreign Associate , National Academy of Engineering, USA
||Member, American Philosophical Society
||Foreign Member, Russian Academy of Sciences
||Honorary Foreign Member, Korean Academy of Science and Technology
||Member, Italian National Academy of Science
||B.S. in Physics, The University of Tokyo
||Ph.D., The University of Tokyo
||Kobe Kogyo Corporation
||Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo (now Sony Corporation)
||IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, USA
||President, University of Tsukuba
- Former President, University of Tsukuba
Major Publications and Scientific Papers
- L. Esaki and R.Tsu, "Superlattice and negative differential conductivity in semiconductors," IBM J.Res. Development, pp.61-65, Jan. 1970.
- L. Esaki, L.L. Chang, W.E. Howard and V.L. Rideout, "Transport properties of a GaAs- GaAlAs superlattice," Proc. Int. Conf. Phys. Semicond., pp.431-435, Warsaw, 1972.
- R. Tsu and L. Esaki, "Tunneling in a finite superlattice," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.22, No.11, pp.562-564, June 1973.
- L.L. Chang, L. Esaki and R. Tsu, "Resonant tunneling in semiconductor double barriers," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol.24, pp.593-595, 1974.
- L. Esaki and L.L. Chang, "New transport phenomenon in a semiconductor superlattice," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol.33, pp.495-498, 1974.