Laureates of the Japan Prize
Dr. Andrzej K. Tarkowski
- Date of Birth:
Outline of Achievements
The 2002 Japan Prize
Major Awards and Honors Received
||Albert Brachet Prize of the Royal Academy of Belgium “for research in experimental mammalian embryology”
||Polish National Award “for research in mammalian embryology”
||Alfred Jurzykowski Foundation (USA) Award “in recognition of pioneering work in the field of mammalian embryology and new techniques in analysing chromosome abnormalities in mammals”
||Embryo Transfer Pioneer Award, International Embryo Transfer Society
||Doctor honoris causa of the Jagiellonian University, Cracow, Poland
Membership in Academic Institutions and Societies
||Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences
||Foreign Member of the French Academy of Sciences
||Member of the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences
||Member of the Academia Europaea
||M.Sc. Warsaw University
||Ph.D. Warsaw University
||Dr. habil. (D.Sc.) Warsaw University
||Assistant and adjunct in the Institute of Zoology, Warsaw University
||Fellow of the Rockefeller Foundation (UK)
||Associate Professor, Warsaw University
||Present Head of Department of Embryology, Warsaw University
||Director of the Institute of Zoology, Warsaw University
||Present Ordinary Professor, Warsaw University
||Visiting Professor of the Royal Society
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford (UK)
||Present Director of the Institute of Zoology, Warsaw University
- Director of the Institute of Zoology, Warsaw University
Major Publications and Scientific Papers
- Tarkowski, A.K. (1959) Experiments on the development of isolated blastomeres of mouse eggs. Nature 184, 1286-1287
- Tarkowski, A.K. (1961) Mouse chimaeras developed from fused eggs. Nature 190, 857-860.
- Tarkowski, A.K. (1966) An air-drying method for chromosome preparations from mouse eggs. Cytogenetics 5, 394-400.
- Tarkowski, A.K. and Wroblewska, J. (1967) Development of blastomeres of mouse eggs isolated at the 4- and 8-cell stage. J. Embryol. exp. Morph., 18, 155-180.
- Tarkowski,A.K., Witkowska, A., and Nowicka, J. (1970) Experimental parthenogenesis in the mouse. Nature 226, 162-165.
- Tarkowski, A.K. and Rossant, J. (1976) Haploid mouse blastocysts developed from bisected zygotes. Nature 259, 663-665.
- Tarkowski, A.K., Witkowska, A. and Opas, J. (1977) Development of cytochalasin B-induced tetraploid and diploid/tetraploid mosaic mouse embryos. J. Embryol. exp. Morph. 41, 47-64.
- Czolowska, R., Modlinski, J.A. and Tarkowski, A.K. (1984) Behaviour of thymocyte nuclei in non-activated and activated mouse oocytes. J. Cell Sci. 69, 19-34.