Laureates of the Japan Prize
Dr. Vinton G.Cerf
- Date of Birth:
23 June 1943
Outline of Achievements
The 2008 Japan Prize
Information Communication Theory and Technology
Creation of network architecture and communication protocol for the Internet
On the Road to the Internet
Major Honors and Awards
||ACM Software System Award (with Dr. Kahn)
||ACM SIGCOMM Award
||U.S. National Medal of Technology (with Dr. Kahn)
||Charles Stark Draper Prize (with Dr. Kahn, L. Roberts, L. Kleinrock)
||Prince of Asturias Award (with Dr. Kahn, L. Kleinrock, L. Roberts, T. Berners-Lee)
||Turing Award (with Dr. Kahn)
||The Presidential Medal of Freedom (with Dr. Kahn)
||National Inventors Hall of Fame
Memberships and Fellowships
||Fellow, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
||Fellow, American Academy of Arts & Sciences (AAAS)
||Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
||Fellow, National Academy of Engineering (NAE)
||B.S. , Mathematics, Stanford University
||M.S. , Computer Science, University of California, Los Angels (UCLA)
||Ph.D. , Computer Science, UCLA
||Assistant Professor, Stanford University
||DARPA (U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency)
||Vice President, MCI
||VP, Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI)
||Senior Vice President, MCI
||Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist, Google Inc.
- Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist, Google Inc.
- C.S. Carr, S.D. Crocker, V.G. Cerf, HOST-HOST Communication Protocol in the ARPA Network, AFIPS Conference Proceedings, 1970 Spring Joint Computer Conference, vol. 36, pp. 589-597, May 1970.
- V. G. Cerf, Multiprocessing, Semaphores and a Graph Model of Computation, Ph.D. Dissertation, Computer Science Department. University of California, Los Angeles, March 1972.
- V. G. Cerf and R. E. Kahn, "A Protocol for Packet Network Intercommunication," IEEE Transactions on Communication, Vol. COM-22, No. 5, May 1974, pp. 637-648. Reprinted in Computer Networking, edited by Blanc and Cotton, IEEE Press, 1976, pp. 95-106.
- V. G. Cerf, D. D. Cowan, R. C. Mullin, and R. G. Stanton, "A Lower Bound on Average Path Length in Regular Graphs," Networks, Vol. 4, 1974, pp. 335-342.
- V. G. Cerf and P. T. Kirstein, "Issues in Packet Network Interconnection," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 66, No. 11, November1978, pp. 1386-1408.
- V. G. Cerf, "Packet Communication Technology," Protocols and Techniques for Data Communication Networks, (F. F. Kuo, ed.), Prentice Hall, New York, 1980.
- V. G. Cerf, "Networks," Scientific American, Vol 265, No 3, September 1991, p. 72.
- V. G. Cerf (Ed.), National Collaboratories: Applying Information Technologies for Scientific Research, National Academy of Sciences, Computer Science Technology Board, 1993.
- V. G. Cerf, "When They’re Everywhere," Beyond Calculation, Copernicus, Springer Verlag, 1997.
- Michael Pelcovits and Vinton G Cerf, "Economics of the Internet," Emerging Telecommunications Networks, The International Handbook of Telecommunications Economics, Volume II, (Gary Madden, ed.), Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK, 2003, p. 27-54.
- Scott Burleigh, Vinton Cerf, Robert Durst, Kevin Fall, Adrian Hooke, Keith Scott, Howard Weiss, "The Interplanetary Internet: A Communications Infrastructure for Mars Exploration" American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Published by Elsevier Science Ltd., 2003.
- V.G. Cerf, "Internet and the System of Justice", Washington Law Review, Vol. 79, No, 1,February, 2004, p. 25-30.