Laureates of the Japan Prize
Dr. Ken L. Thompson
- Date of Birth:
4 February 1943
Outline of Achievements
The 2011 Japan Prize
Information and Communications
Development of the operating system, UNIX
||Association for Computing Machinery, A.M. Turing Award
||NEC, C&C Award
||US National Medal of Technology and Innovation for the development of the UNIX operating system
||IEEE Tsutomu Kanai Award
||Member, US National Academy of Engineering
||Member, US National Academy of Science
||Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley
||Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley
||Research Staff, Bell Labs
||Visiting Professor, University of California, Berkeley
||Fellow, Bell Labs
||Visiting Professor, University of Sydney, Australia
||Fellow, Entrisphere Inc.
||Distinguished Engineer, Google Inc.
- Distinguished Engineer, Google Inc.
- K. Thompson, Regular Expression Search Algorithm, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 419-422, 1968.
- D. M. Ritchie and K. Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 365-375, 1974.
- K. Thompson, “Belle Chess Hardware”, In Advances In Computer Chess 3 (ed. M.R.B. Clarke), Pergamon Press, 1982.
- K. Thompson, Reflections on Trusting Trust, 1983 Turing Award Lecture, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 761-763, 1984.
- R. Pike, D. Presotto, S. Dorward, R. Flandrena, K. Thompson, H. Trickey and P. Winterbottom, Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Computing Systems, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 221-254, 1995.
- K. Thompson, “How I Spent My Winter Vacation”
- K. Thompson, et al “The Go Programming Language”